What the drought package means for farmers
* Households eligible for Farm Household Allowance to get extra payments on September 1 and March 1 next year.
* Couples will get up to $12,000. Singles will get up to $7200.
* That's on top of the base fortnightly payment totalling about $16,000 a year for farmers doing it tough.
* Net asset threshold cap for FHA increased from $2.6 million to $5 million, likely to make about 8000 housholds eligible for the payment.
* Comes after FHA limit was extended from three to four years in June.
* Rural Financial Counselling Service to get an extra $5 million to help people apply for the allowance, with almost 20,000 eligible farmers yet to apply.
* Communities can apply for funds up to $1 million for community-led mental health and community resilience initiatives
* More money for youth e-mental health service ReachOUT to go into drought-affected communities
* An extra $15 million for the Foundation for Rural and Regional Renewal with small grants for not-for-profit community groups.
Lifeline 13 11 14
Back to Breaking News