New road to cut Adelaide travel times
Adelaide motorists will be able to slice 10 minutes off travel times using the new $801 million Torrens to Torrens stretch of the city's South Road upgrade.
The four-kilometre, non-stop section, from Torrens Road to the River Torrens, will progressively open to traffic from 10am on Saturday.
"By the end of the day the entire corridor will be open and operational and we'll get to see this fantastic new capability for our state," Premier Steven Marshall told reporters at the site on Friday.
"This was a joint effort between the taxpayers of South Australia (and) the federal government ... and now we get on with the next phase, Pym Street to Regency Road.
"We, as the new government, are 100 per cent committed to a free-flowing north-south corridor. We want to deliver it for the people of South Australia."
Friday's unveiling, after a public open day last week, was also attended by Transport Minister Stephan Knoll and federal Trade Minister Simon Birmingham, who said the upgrade was a win for business.
"This means real economic benefits - whether it's our goods coming from McLaren Vale in fine wines, barley coming from the mid-north, citrus coming from the Riverland," he said.
"All of those different commodities, products, can get to market sooner, lower costs, better for business, great for productivity, as well as for those who commute up and down here."
It is expected the upgrade, which includes a three-kilometre stretch of lowered road, will be used by up to 115,000 vehicles every day.
The South Australian and federal governments each contributed $400.5 million to fund the project.
Several parts of South Road, which stretches from Adelaide's north to south, have already been upgraded as part of a coalition promise to complete the work within a decade.
Back to Breaking News