Hospital rush after Vic pool chlorine leak

Twenty people have been treated by paramedics, including six rushed to hospital, following a chlorine leak at swimming pool in Victoria's southwest.

The fumes from the chlorine - which can be dangerous, even deadly, in its undiluted form - affected swimmers at the aquatic centre in Apollo Bay.

Firefighters were called about 10.45am on Saturday and found 20 people experiencing respiratory difficulty because of the fumes, the Country Fire Authority said.

Two people were flown by helicopter to hospital in Melbourne, while four others were taken via road to Geelong hospital.

Among the group affected by fumes were two children, though it is unclear if they were among those admitted to hospital.

Those not taken into care were monitored by paramedics for a few hours outside the aquatic centre.

A CFA spokesman said a "higher mixture" of chlorine than usual appears to have been used at the pool.

While the scene had been declared under control, firefighters remained on scene making sure the building was ventilated.

Austrlaian Associated PressBack to Breaking News

  • Print this page
  • Copy Link