Dick Smith class action ready to launch
A class action against failed electronics chain Dick Smith on behalf of disgruntled shareholders has been given the green light.
The Supreme Court of NSW has granted legal firm Bannister Law leave to file a class action against Dick Smith (DSHE) on Monday.
Bannister Law principal Charles Bannister says the ruling is a win for shareholders who loss a lot of money when the company collapsed in January 2016.
"Thousands of shareholders have lost tens of millions because, we allege, DSHE contravened provisions of the Corporations Act, including by engaging in misleading or deceptive conduct on various occasions throughout 2015," he said in a statement on Tuesday.
Mr Bannister said the firm alleges that the retailer misled shareholders about the financial health of the company through directors' declarations that the accounts during 2015 were up to Australian Accounting Standards.
He said it will be alleged that the use of supplier rebates to artificially inflate Dick Smith's reported profit deceived shareholders who have suffered loss and damage as a result.
Another litigation firm, Investor Claim Partner, is also investigating a class action on behalf of shareholders.
This is on top of claims filed earlier in 2017 in the Federal Court by Dick Smith's lenders, National Australia Bank and HSBC.
The banks accuse the company of buying "bad stock" to inflate income and earnings.
Dick Smith went into administration after failing to secure a funds injection from its banks last year.
Back to Breaking News