BHP served with class action over Samarco
BHP has been served with a Federal Court class action over investor losses following the fatal Samarco dam disaster in Brazil.
BHP on Monday said it would defend the claim lodged in Victoria.
The global miner did not specify who had filed the class action, which relates to the 2015 dam burst that killed 19 people.
Samarco and its parent companies Vale SA and BHP signed a deal with Brazilian authorities in June for the framework to settle a $7.1 billion lawsuit over the failure.
BHP also agreed to fund a total of $215 million in financial support for the Renova Foundation, created to help victims of the disaster.
Last week, BHP said it expected to record a charge of $US650 million in its full-year results on account of the failure.
The charge was at the lower end of expectations according to analysts.
BHP's ASX-listed shares were down about one per cent on Monday in a weaker overall market.
Back to Breaking News