Sydney Airport: Revised bid rejected
About the author:
- Author name:
- By Nathan Lead
- Job title:
- Senior Analyst
- Date posted:
- 16 August 2021, 5:00 PM
- Sectors Covered:
- Infrastructure, Utilities
- Sydney Airport (ASX:SYD) has rejected a revised indicative takeover bid. HOLD retained.
- Target price set in-line with revised indicative bid of (login to view).
- We sense there is upside on offer as the bidding develops (noting AustralianSuper has now joined the bid consortium), but we have an eye to the downside risk if the bid were to stall.
Sydney Airport (ASX:SYD) has received a revised indicative takeover proposal from the Sydney Aviation Alliance bid consortium, which SYD has rejected.
The revised indicative bid is all-cash $8.45/sh (vs $8.25 original bid). The terms and conditions of the original proposal are otherwise unchanged.
AustralianSuper has joined the bid consortium (also includes QSuper, IFM, and GIP, and requires UniSuper to transfer its listed holding into an equivalent interest in the unlisted bid vehicle). This brings another big player in the Australian infrastructure space into the group. We think this increases the probability of the deal proceeding beyond this rejection.
SYD says it is “open to engaging with the Sydney Aviation Alliance should the Consortium be prepared to lift its indicative price to appropriately recognise long term value for Sydney Airport Securityholders.”
Forecast and valuation update
Downgrades to interest rate and inflation rate assumptions as per swap curves. This has no impact on short term forecasts, but cumulative impact long-term.
12 month target price aligned to revised bid price of $8.45/sh.
Business-as-usual valuation of $7.06/sh (+2cps).
The pre-bid close was $5.81/sh. However, adjusting for broader market movements since that time puts the price closer to c.$6/sh.
The bull case is the Sydney Aviation Alliance consortium (or a counter-bidder) comes back with a higher price. At current prices, the rejected $8.45/sh bid implies c.9% upside. That’s not bad given the quality of the bid consortium suggests they wouldn’t walk away at the initial bid rejections. If we assume bidding finalises at say $8.75 (6% higher than the latest bid, but <3% higher on an EV basis), that’s c.13% upside at current prices.
The bear case is the bid consortium pulls out of bidding (a 20cps uptick to the bid price is not reflective of high conviction bidding). At current prices, the share price could fall >20% to market movement-adjusted pre-bid prices. Alternatively, the share price could fall c.9% to our valuation of $7.06/sh.
An increased takeover price, either from the Sydney Aviation Alliance consortium or a counter-bidder.
Recommencement of the distribution, which we expect will attract income-oriented investors back to the stock and thus help close the pre-bid gap between share price and fundamental value.
The takeover bid not proceeding or extended delays in an agreed deal’s completion.
Extended pax recovery phase, with below trend growth thereafter.
Find out more
Download full research note
If you would like access or more information, please contact your adviser or nearest Morgans office.
Request a call
Find local branch
Need access to our research?
You are also welcome to start a two-week trial of our online platform, which provides access to detailed market analysis and insights, provided by our award-winning research team.
Create trial account
Disclaimer: The information contained in this report is provided to you by Morgans Financial Limited as general advice only, and is made without consideration of an individual's relevant personal circumstances. Morgans Financial Limited ABN 49 010 669 726, its related bodies corporate, directors and officers, employees, authorised representatives and agents (“Morgans”) do not accept any liability for any loss or damage arising from or in connection with any action taken or not taken on the basis of information contained in this report, or for any errors or omissions contained within. It is recommended that any persons who wish to act upon this report consult with their Morgans investment adviser before doing so.